Thursday 22 September 2016

Possible Song Choices

Growing up as a mixed race girl, music has been an incredibly important part of my life.  My dad knows first hand how hard it is to deal with racism and wanted to make sure from a young age that I knew my worth and didn't take much notice of people who thought otherwise.  He did this through music with positive representations of black people and black culture.  I want to connect with my black side with this music video and also show other people their worth with my music video by doing a music video based around racism and black people.

I have looked at various songs after doing some research

http://www.ocweekly.com/music/10-best-black-empowerment-songs-6605281



This song is all about being proud to be yourself with the lyrics "I'm black and i'm proud"





This song has no copyright that I'm aware of (it has been uploaded by someone other than the official Jaheim account and has been up on YouTube for 7 years so I can assume it's okay, but if I pick this song I'll run my own tests to make sure it doesn't get taken down)  It's all about being fabulous as you are with lyrics such as

"Was just us and mom, single family home, She did the best she could, did it all alone, Met a man but he won't raise a child thats not his own, Oh, no, oh, no, no"  

Prepaid CELLIES for local calls                                                                  
little dons and divas up at the mall
rockin cornrow twists, thats how we BALL                        
But don't hate on us, were fabulous                                                                  

We're all that we've got
and no matter whatever together we'll weather the storm

IT AIN'T A LOT, we all we got, it might get rough, but
it's alright

Cause U-N-I-T-Y is all we need
To get our R-E-S-P-E-C-T
And never G-I-V-E U-P
And keep your H-E-A-D U-P
And never G-I-V-E U-P
And keep your H-E-A-D U-P
And never G-I-V-E U-P
And keep your H-E-A-D U-P
And never G-I-V-E U-P
And keep your H-E-A-D U-P
And never G-I-V-E U-P
And keep your H-E-A-D U-P
And never G-I-V-E U-P
And keep your H-E-A-D U-P

This song talks about black women usually ending up as single parents raising a family on her own and how incredible they are for doing that.
Cornrow twists are a type of hairstyle black girls tend to wear but this song is saying "don't hate on us, we're fabulous" "we're all we've got but we'll get through this all together"  This is the first song I remember thinking "yes, I am fabulous being me"




Another possible song choice is PohLease by KAMAU, this music video is completely about police brutality and focusses more on those events than empowering black people, but the way KAMAU words things such as "Killing cubs just because, Colour is a credible cause To make that bird caw, Incredible cost to a mother to To get that cursed call" shows the struggle people are going through just because of the colour of their skin, so if I pick this song I will record an empowering music video.





This song is a tribute from 2Pac to his mum who raised her on his own



This is another song about strong black single women raising children on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment