Monday 3 October 2016

Casting

I posted a listing on an agency website called StarNow to recruit some professional actors to feature in the music video as I want a professional looking music video and I feel as though I'm taking a professional approach.  7 people applied for the ad but most didn't live near Norwich and wanted me to pay for their travel despite me explaining that I was unable to.  I arranged to meet one of the actors who lived near Norwich but he cancelled on me last minute which led me to believe that he wasn't as serious about my project as I am.

I confided in some friends who are incredibly passionate about music and know how important my projects are to me, out of the 5 of them, only 1 fitted the character I had wanted of someone of colour who has predominant features relating to his ethnicity, and after auditioning him he said he was more than happy to help. I found some other extras through mutual friends who were also of an African/ Caribbean decent who applied to be in the video.



Reasons for casting:

Main Actor:
At first I was going to cast the role to someone between the ages of 17-40 to represent a sister or a mother affected by police brutality, but because my music video is aimed at a fairly young audience, I  then decided to represent the main actor as a young woman to make it more relatable and to show that any one of us young people could experience this when we grow up if we don't do something to stop it.
I decided to cast myself to be the main actor.  This role requires professionalism, and raw emotion.  Every time I listen to this song, I feel so much emotion and struggle to not cry.  The Black Lives Matter movement means the world to me and so does this music video.
I'm able to direct myself to do everything I want, I can retake the shots as many times as I need to without relying on anyone else, and I can give that emotive performance easily.  I also know the song very well and know all the lyrics off by heart which makes editing in post-production much easier if the correct words are sung/rapped in time.

Foreground Extra 1:
Natasha is very organised and reliable and also incredibly professional.  I can rely on her to show up on time and put in her 110%.  As I am close friends with her she knows how important this is to me and is much more likely to try her hardest.  This is much better than using someone from an add agency who isn't very committed as I experienced before with StarNow.

Foreground Extra 2:
Stephen has very predominantly black features which is perfect for the music video as it's all about racism against black people.  Stephen is very loyal and I can depend on him to perform well. He also raps so he is able to lip synch to the song if needed.

Foreground Extra 3:
Harry is very trustworthy, and also owns The Alley where I'm intending to film.  He fits the role perfectly where he'll be standing next to Stephen holding the sign.

Foreground Extra 4:
Will Sims lives quite close to my house meaning I can film with him easily.  He has dreadlocks which is stereotypically associated with black ethnicity which works well with my music video theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment